Blog 1: Top Five Sources of News and Information



Ways to obtain news and information are as easy as its ever been. Technology allows us to explore and use thousands of different news sources. With the plethora of websites and applications, one can get their news and information, there will always be some that aren’t credible, which is a priority when it comes to receiving the news. These five sources for news and information make it easy to not only find credible information but to be caught up to date as well.



Instagram


What started off as an app used for sharing pictures, Instagram has grown into one of the world's most popular social media apps. Instagram is a great and easy way to receive information. With your Instagram account, you can follow other accounts dedicated to your desired news sources. Your local news station most likely has an Instagram account where they post everything you would see on their broadcast. Instagram also allows its users to turn on notifications for their favorite accounts, so when they post, the user will be notified. Accounts with a blue check next to their name are verified by Instagram itself, meaning they are in fact the real person/company they are displaying themselves as. I would recommend following only verified accounts for your news and information. I follow multiple verified sports accounts such as @ESPN, @SportCenter, and even my favorite team, @nyjets. I’m constantly up to date with the sports world because of the notifications. Some accounts I recommend following for fast and reliable news and information: @complexnews, @bbcnews, @viceworldnews, @nbcnews




Twitter


Another popular social media site used by millions around the world, Twitter is a great source for live, breaking news. Twitter is known for being fast, up to date, and brutally honest when it comes to posting news and information. Since Twitter has a 280 character limit for tweets, it’s very easy and quick to go from one news story to the next, all while receiving the most important information in each story. Twitter does a great job personalizing your own account, offering accounts to follow based on your preference and interests. When I initially set up my account, I set “football” as one of my terms of interest, and it instantly gave me tens of hundreds of football-related accounts to go through. Twitter, just like Instagram, has verified accounts and push notifications, keeping your feed updated and reliable. Twitter’s trending section is a perfect example as to why Twitter is great for live, breaking news. The trending section shows what keywords or phrases are currently trending on Twitter and why. Some Twitter accounts I recommend following: @BBCBreaking, @TMZ, @BreakingNews, @TwitterNews


Apple News


When Apple first announced that they were creating “Apple News”, I didn’t think anything of it. Here I am now using Apple News almost every day. Apple News personalizes your homepage so it’s just for you. What makes Apple News so beneficial is that it’s already downloaded on the iPhone, so all I would have to do to receive my news or information is just one click away, just like Twitter and Instagram. Apple News also has a search bar for users looking for specific channels, topics, or stories. Apple News even offers audio news stories, which makes it easier for those who have vision impairment, or for those who just want to sit back, relax, and listen. Apple News showcases all types of news, from sports to celebrities, to information about COVID-19. 



Bleacher Report


Bleacher Report covers all things sport-related, including sport culture. By sport culture, I mean the fan base and community of sports. Bleacher Report strives to bring fans of the same team together, with open discussion threads under posts. Bleacher Report is made up of sports journalists and bloggers covering almost any sport you can think of, from basketball to WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment). Most of the time whenever a big sports story breaks I get notifications from Bleacher Report first before any other sports app I have. Bleacher Report, just like all other sources I’ve listed, personalizes the stories on my feed to my favorite teams and sports. I found great sports journalists through Bleacher Report, who I now follow on Twitter and Instagram. If you’re a sports fanatic like me, Bleacher Report is just for you. 



BBC News


I previously mentioned that I follow BBC News accounts on both Twitter and Instagram. BBC News describes themselves as “impartial and independent”, and I couldn’t agree more. Credibility and bias are two things that are important when reading a news story. Main news outlets like Fox, NBC, ABC, etc. I believe to be biased to an extent, but I truly believe BBC News is unbiased in all aspects. I feel many News companies focus on stories within the U.S. and not anywhere else, and if there was a story somewhere outside the U.S. it lacks in detail and information. BBC News is known for bringing you news from around the world, and the World section they offer does just that. Their stories in the World section are more detailed and information-filled than any other.


Comments

Popular Posts